Friday, January 11, 2008

This is ridiculous

And I'm referring to political phone calls. I got to my dad's house about 3:30. Since then the phone has been ringing here off the hook. We've had calls from Romney and McCain (advertising for his event) here, and those are just the ones we know about. None of the calls were answered thanks to caller ID. I'm sure others campaigns have called as well. There were at least five out of area or toll free calls calls in about a two hour period. I bet most of them were political as at least two of them were, and my parents are on the do-not-call telemarketing list.

This is not counting the previous Huckabee call and the other line which has a bunch of political calls from those leftists at "American Family Voices" (same calls I've gotten) and others.

There's a reason I refuse to help on phone banks. I bet that every likely voter is getting call after call every five to ten minutes. People get tired of one campaign after another invading their castle close to dinner time. The people I know do not liked to be bothered in their castles by political calls. Telemarketers are Telemarketers in the eyes of the voters.

For the record, my parents are undecided voters, and these calls do not help at all at earning their vote. They in fact hurt the chances at their votes. That might not be good news for some candidates.

Piece of free advice, end or at least reduce the amount of political phone calls.

5 comments:

Jeremy Nielson said...

Your anecdote aside... (And I agree, telemarketers are annoying as f@#%)...

Considering the amount of money spend on political telemarketing, I have to imagine there is research that shows it's effective.

With all of the things to spend hard-fought campaign dollars on, "wasting" it isn't a top priority.

People hate junk mail too. But I still get tons of junk mail from campaigns every 2 years. But again, if it's not effective (and there wasn't proof it works), then it would just be wasting money.

I beg, plead, implore you to backup your anecdote with hard data. As the placard on scientists' desks everywhere reads: "In God we trust. All else must bring data."

Shaun said...

These calls are an epidemic and are invading the privacy of All American Voters.

Our members are taking a stand and saying enough is enough at the National Political Do Not Contact Registry at StopPoliticalCalls.org.

Here is a quote from a member this morning:

"I find it very frustrating... I tend to get calls at the WORST time. I have a one year old daughter, and it NEVER fails that the phone will ring when I put her down for a nap or for bed. Also my vote is PRIVATE... so who do you think you are calling with a survey to find out who I am voting for!!! Stop calling me."

Regards,

Shaun Dakin
CEO and Founder
http://www.stoppoliticalcalls.org

Shaun said...

RE: data on effectiveness.

There isn't any. When I ask consultants why they robo call, they say because they are cheap.

I ask, do they work?

They answer, we don't really know. If we win they do.

The only research is between Brookings and Yale for the 2004 election and the data shows that robo calls have NO impact on the turnout.

Shaun

Jeremy Nielson said...

You /consider/ your vote private. That doesn't automatically guarantee that nobody can (or should) ask you about it.

Invasion of Privacy versus Free Speech... Nobody's forcing you to answer the phone. But you'd like to remove someone's freedom of speech. Having a phone and publishing a phone number is an invitation for people to call you.

I would consider the "stop unsolicited calls" thing legitimate, only if people were also fighting to stop junk mail. It's the same exact principle, even if it's not the same exact annoyance.

I have a cellphone instead of a landline, and I don't get unsolicited phone calls from anyone. It's a handy solution, and I don't have to try and fight any battles.

Also, anecdotes aside, give me data. You claim people are being annoyed by calls, back it up with data. Back up the effectiveness claims. Otherwise it's all anecdotes and not really data. I'm not being snide or insulting, but everyone has a story and an opinion. But it'll be facts that sway my mind here.

Angels of Liberty said...

We only answer them so we can hang up as they start their recorded message. It's kind of fun to hang up on Romney...

The REALLY annoying call is the pseudo-pollster who is only trying to get you to vote for Huckabee. I've gotten the call twice. Both times I answer no to every question. It's not like I'm lying, I don't plan on voting for Romney, McCain or Huckabee. It's just fun to tell the Huckster's pollsters that I will not vote for him.

ed