Saturday, October 04, 2008

You don't win if you don't show up

I often use a lot of sports sayings and sports related terms in my writings here. One of my favorite sayings is "You don't win if you don't show up." It explains itself. I already voted, so I'm unbiased when I say this.

I got a surprise in my mailbox today. Many of the local democrats know who I am. It's not a secret, some of my comments made the Argus. I've only voted for a democrat in the general election twice ever for any partisan office whatsoever, and I wasn't always a Republican. If I don't vote for the Republican candidate, I almost always vote for the Libertarian candidate. That's if the Republican candidate really ticks me off either by who he is, or by his votes. Don Sherwood, Bill Riordan and Ted Stevens are examples of Republicans who would not get my vote if I was in their district. Sherwood for being scum, Riordan for his social views, and Ahnold for his economic views. My views are a mix of ideology (those three above) and pragmatism (McCain and moreso Bush aren't my favorites, but clearly better than their opponents).

The surprise in the mail was a postcard election mailing from Matt Evans. He's the democrat running for Green Oak Supervisor. I've met Matt once, and he's a nice guy even if I don't agree with him on everything. After the primary election, I wondered which Matt Evans will show up on the campaign. The one who had a respectable showing in 2006 or the one who didn't get on the ballot for the primary, but got enough write ins to make the ballot. I can't speak for others, but I assume if this Republican got the mailing, others of all parties did too. My guess is that the mailing went to those on the absentee list or level "7+" voters list (those who almost always vote or in my case, always vote contested elections).

I did get a Mark St Charles mailing as well awhile back. I know Mark as well. I expect a mailing from him more with my GOP leanings so I was not surprised. He's gotta keep working since I do expect a competitive race in Green Oak.

One thing that bothers me as a voter is when a candidate does not do anything except put a name on the ballot in a contested election. That's a quick way to get me to throw off on an election to a libertarian candidate. As I make an effort to inform myself, if I don't know you or at least know of you, I'm not voting for you. Effort matters, and I will not blindly vote.

If nothing else, I can respect both Mark St Charles and Matt Evans for running real campaigns. You don't win if you don't show up. They know that. At the least, expect something in the mail if you are in Green Oak. One request though to both. Don't robocall me. I hate robocalls even more than I hate reading editorials from Mitch Albom.

2 comments:

Shaun said...

It is too bad that politicians continue to exempt themselves from Do Not Call law.

StopPoliticalCalls.org is fighting for the privacy of the American voter.

1 - Creating a Political Do Not Call Registry
2 - Testifying in the US Senate about robo calls (Sen. Feinstein’s Robocall Privacy Act)
3 - Forcing states to enforce existing robo call laws (CA, MN, NJ, etc..)
4 - Getting politicians to take a do not robo call pledge (7 have)

As I testified at the US. Senate these robo calls are an epidemic and this election cycle “phone spam” and are invading the privacy of All American Voters.

Our members are taking a stand and saying enough is enough at the National Political Do Not Contact Registry at StopPoliticalCalls.org.

Here is a quote from a member recently:

"I'm a shift worker, working variable shifts. I depend on my sleep to be able to do my job safely and efficiently. I'm a locomotive engineer. Imagine the disaster were I to fall asleep, operating a freight train carrying hazardous materials in your neighborhood, due to fatigue from being awoken in my middle of the night on a continuous basis during election season. Please stop.."

Learn more.

Shaun Dakin
CEO
http://www.stoppoliticalcalls.org
A non-profit fighting for the privacy of the American voter

bluzie said...

I couldn't agree with you more! If a candidate does not work hard to get your vote, why would you expect the candidate to work hard once elected?