Monday, April 25, 2011

2012 - Barbour is out

Haley Barbour is one of the individuals I was considering. Not anymore.

From the AP

ACKSON, Miss. – Republican Gov. Haley Barbour bowed out of presidential contention Monday with a surprise announcement just as the 2012 campaign was getting under way in earnest, 18 months before Election Day. The Mississippi governor said he lacked the necessary "absolute fire in the belly" to run

That could be good or bad. Good that the more well known retreads will be dividing up their votes and the darkhorse types have less votes dividing them up. Bad in the fact that Barbour is a very competent governor who can credibly rip the poor mismanagement of the current idiot-in-chief.

I won't be making any decision until at least after Mackinac Conference, but as of now, I'm looking more and more at Daniels, Johnson, and Pawlenty. Don't expect me to jump on the Trump bandwagon either. If I liked "celebrity politics", I'd support the current idiot there.

3 comments:

Brendan Cole said...

Well, Ron Paul is in so support him

Jordan G said...

The Republicans should be happy though that Gov. Barbour recognized that he was somewhat unelectable in a matchup with the President.

The Republicans should be much happier though whenever Mr. Trump drops his faux-candidacy.

Or maybe I shouldn't be saying these things, since I am supporting President Obama, and his re-election chances only improve with every increase in Mr. Trump's Republican poll numbers.

Republican Michigander said...

I think Barbour had a shot running on competence issues although he would have been a better president than a candidate. He was probably more electable in 08 with his handling of the Katrina recovery compared to the neighbors to the West - even as Mississippi got the direct hit.

As far as Trump goes, I don't think he'll follow through, but if he does, it'll likely to keep his name in the news for a future TV show. He's a marketer. No more, no less. I'll be happy when he drops or gets knocked out in the primary.